Monday, July 12, 2010

My Orchid

I have been "working" on my Orchid for months now.  I use the term "working on" loosely as I put 2 weeks work into it back in what I think was April, and on my final firing... It cracked and my heart sank.  I knew I could fix it and go on with creating my masterpiece.. But, it broke my heart. I put hours upon hours into making it and in one wrong move it was ruined.  The money..the time.. would I ever finish it?

Doing large intricate pieces are a passion, but rarely do I ever recover the cost of raw material, and the man hours it take to make them are purely for enjoyment..

The Pendant is a direct casting of a flower I have in my home. This is the sister flower from the same plant I casted from.

Today I started working on the pendant/broach again.  It feels good..and scary... So far I have used the Silver Orchid as a paper weight, and a prop for photography... Here it is before I started working on it again.. (In all it's prop glory)

Granted it is a bit hard to see the detail when it's draped in rubies... But there could be worse things to be draped in I suppose! 
So back to the passion project I go, perhaps one day soon I will blog with an update and a picture of the final product. 

The ruby earrings are available on line at:  Aly Dahl Designs

2 comments:

  1. This is the first time I have seen it and it is absolutely stunning Aly! Sorry to hear about the crack, that must hurt. But you are so talented and when you finish this breathtaking orchid you should keep it as a gift to yourself. You are worth the cost, the time, the effort and the heartbreak. When it is finished you will have earned this orchid through your sweat, tears and talent.

    PS. The ruby earrings are beautiful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your passions turn into the most beautiful masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete